As one of the maintainers of KOReader, a versatile a document and image viewer, I’m proud to announce the latest release.
The Marsdiep is a strait between the North Sea and the Wadden Sea (Wikipedia). When high tide approaches water flows east, and when the tide lowers it flows back west. Inspired by this natural phenomenon, our March release introduces multiswipes, short for multiswipe gestures. A swipe east, directly followed by a swipe west without taking your finger off the screen, will now take you directly to your latest bookmark. All of these are fully configurable in the gesture manager, which can now be found in the new Settings → Taps and gestures menu.
Various Android E Ink ereaders were added to the list of supported devices. Please keep your feedback coming in our dedicated issue!
Android and AppImages can now check for nightly and stable updates from within the program (#4620, #4639).
Because there is so much to cover, here are a few things that stand out to me personally:
- @Galunid added the ability to allow for adjusting highlights (#4582).
- @poire-z fixed up an issue with ligatures and hyphenation, so that “best” font kerning is now truly best (#4593).
- @NiLuJe added hardware dithering on supported platforms (#4541).
- @houqp decoupled the render core & hardware from UI (#4580). This sounds a bit cryptic, but it means you can now much easier use KOReader’s backend as a Lua module to build entirely new GUI concepts on top of it.
These are simply the gestures we thought to be most useful, but they’re hardly the be all and end all. You can add your own gestures using the multiswipe recorder (#4644).
We’d like to thank all contributors for their efforts. Some highlights since the previous release include:
- Page overlap menu (cre): set nb of overlap lines (#4538) @poire-z
- bump crengine: count nb of images drawn & others (#4542) @poire-z
- [Android, feat] Set APK version to a sane automated value (#4546) @Frenzie @pazos
- Adds CreDocument:getScreenPositionFromXPointer() (#4544) @poire-z
- cre: allow text selection/highlighting across pages (#4544) @poire-z
- [i18n] Add Slovak to translations (#4548) @fofo444
- [Android] Add E Ink support for Inkbook Prime HD & exit after crash (#4552, #4559) @pazos
- Enable HW dithering in a few key places (#4541, #4554, #4561) @NiLuJe
- [Android] nightswatcher: switch to uber-apk-signer for v1 & v2 signing (koreader/koreader-misc#26) @Frenzie
This allows for faster installation on Android 7 and higher.
- [build, Android] Use faster lzma2 compression (#4562) @Frenzie
- [UX] Don’t show low battery warning when charging (#4563) @NiLuJe
- [chore] Some Wi-Fi tweaks (#4564) @NiLuJe
- On Kobo, try to avoid booting in an inconsistent state (“Wi-Fi connection” checked, because the modules are loaded, but no actual network connection, for whatever reason).
- Don’t enable auto_restore_wifi by default.
- [Android] kodev run android: show all errors (#4569) @Frenzie
- [UX] Add Prev/Next page actions to GestureManager (#4570) @NiLuJe
- [Android] Boyue Likebook Plus (#4573) @pazos
- bump crengine: fix search stuck on some pages and others (#4572) @poire-z
- [fix, AppImage] writable zsync outbox location (#4568) @Frenzie
- Some more repaint/refresh tweaks (#4578) @NiLuJe
- [Android, fix] Fullscreen, bigger aspect ratio (#4589) @pazos
- [fix] Eliminate ghosting on eInk when showing an image ScreenSaver (#4591, #4592)
- bump crengine: fix font clipping and hyphenation with HB (#4593) @poire-z
- README: add a cute little version tag badge (#4596) @Frenzie
- Allows adjusting highlight start and end (#4582) @Galunid
- move Cervantes4 to new natural light interface (#4588) @pazos
- cervantes: add usb storage on devices w/updated 3rd party tools (#4588) @pazos
- [UX] ReaderGesture: add back to previous location as an option (#4600) @Frenzie
- add option – suspend action
- add option – show history
- add option – toggle rotation
- [UX] Gesture manager: add paged zoom gestures (#4610)
- [feat, UX] Gesture manager: add option – open previous document (#4641)
- [UX] Gesture manager: re-order actions, add Skim option (#4654)
- [UX] Gesture manager: add action – go to latest bookmark (#4657)
- [UX] Gesture manager: add north west = folder up as file manager default (#4662)
- [UX] Gesture manager: add action – show frontlight dialog (#4664)
- [UX] Gesture manager: add action – show menu (#4665)
- [UX] Gesture manager: add action – go to file browser (#4678)
- [UX] Gesture manager: add action – toggle reflow (#4688)
- [UX] Gesture manager: add action – go to (#4690)
- [UX] Gesture manager: add actions – prev/next chapter (#4692) @poire-z
- [UX] Gesture manager: add action – show dictionary/Wikipedia (#4699)
- [UX] Gesture manager: add action – follow nearest link (#4714)
- [UX] Gesture manager: add action – fulltext search (#4715)
- [UX] Gesture manager: add action – clear location history (#4716) @poire-z
- [UX] Gesture manager: add action – file search (#4720)
- [UX] Gesture manager: add Exit and Restart action and a few gestures (#4725) @poire-z
- [UX] Gesture manager: add action – folder shortcuts (#4733, #4759)
- [UX] Gesture manager: add actions – toggle wifi and wifi on/off (#4739)
- [UX] Gesture manager: add action – book status (#4746)
- bump crengine: font, text and highlights fixes (#4609) @poire-z
- Highlight adjusting: avoid start and end crossing each other
- [feat] GestureDetector: add multiswipes (#4606, #4612, #4613, #4623) @Frenzie
- [feat] ReaderGesture: add multiswipe support (#4607) @Frenzie
- [feat, UX] Add multiswipe recorder (#4644)
- [UX] Gesture manager: show selected action in menu (#4655)
- display network settings based on device capabilities + fix android basic network info (#4550) @pazos
- Use a temporary copy of our tar binary during OTA updating, to avoid the potential for a SIGBUS error… (#4602) @NiLuJe
- [fix, Android] Bump luajit-launcher to unbreak fullscreen toggle in api14-15 (#4619) @pazos
- [fix] Fix partial refresh when coming out of ScreenSaver in landscape (#4622) @NiLuJe
- [Cervantes, Kobo] Stricter WiFi callback (#4616) @NiLuJe
- [feat] Update check (#4620) @Frenzie
- [fix] PicDocument: Pass a copy of image_bb in getCoverPageImage() (#4628) @NiLuJe
- [fix] ReaderZooming: work around tiles that are too large (#4608) @Frenzie
- [fix, AppImage] Add libbsd.so.0 & libXss.so.1 dummy (#4634) @Frenzie
- [Android] (re)enable update downloads using full apks (#4639) @pazos
- [UX] Alternative update message when ota_version < local_version (#4661) @Frenzie
- bump crengine: fix text selection and cache issues @poire-z
- cre scroll mode: fix highlights not shown when small pages @poire-z
- cre scroll mode: fix last line of book hidden by footer @poire-z
- [UX] Introduce Taps & Gestures menu (#4677) @Frenzie
- [UX] Navigation settings for all devices (#4680) @Frenzie
- [fix] GestureDetector: add PAN_DELAYED_INTERVAL (#4666) @Frenzie
- add support for likebook mimas e-ink updates (#4686) @pazos
- [UX] creoptions: add more margin values (#4691, #4702) @Frenzie
- [UX] ButtonProgressWidget: thin grey buttons instead of black (#4700) @poire-z
- [UX] GestureDetector: add diagonal multiswipes (#4704) @Frenzie
- [feat, UX] Gesture manager: add support for diagonal multiswipes (#4710) @Frenzie
- [fix] ReaderFooter: Don’t hide progressbar if it’s the only ticked option (#4648) @Frenzie
- Fix slow keyboard when double tap not disabled (#4711) @poire-z
- bump base: PocketBook resume freeze fix (#4712) @tob1az
- [Android] Bump luajit-launcher for build flavors (#4719) @pazos
- [feat, Kobo] On Kobo, drop fb to 8bpp on startup (#4637) @NiLuJe
- Decouple render core & hardware from UI (#4580) @houqp
- cre: fix highlights in 2-pages mode (#4753) @poire-z
- [fix] cre: fix position and page number after window resize (#4754) @poire-z