KOReader 2020.03 “Skating Bird”
As one of the maintainers of KOReader, a versatile a document and image viewer, I’m proud to announce the latest release.
There’s this upcoming videogame called Skatebird. The demo was quite promising. But what you didn’t know is that many of those birbs read heaps and gobs of classic literature from Project Gutenberg and Archive.org. Just like us!
Quite a bit of effort was put into PocketBook this month to make it more maintainable going forward. By creating our own toolchain (koreader/koxtoolchain#22), we can now build the binaries with an up-to-date GCC instead of the years-old GCC 4.8 in the official toolchain, which was starting to become problematically outdated. This is no panacea; most PocketBook issues are unrelated, but a higher maintenance burden can be quite demotivating and gets in the way of addressing actual issues.
In-page footnotes are now enabled by default (#5908). We’re quite fond of them, but if you’d like to disable them you can do so in the document menu (second from the left in the top menu) → Style tweaks → Miscellaneous → In-page footnotes.
We’d like to thank all contributors for their efforts. Some highlights since the previous release include:
- Make dictionary margin depend on font size (#5865) @Frenzie
- Footnote popups: CSS: remove some vertical margin (#5863) @poire-z
- Font menu: show only 5 items per page (#5863) @poire-z
- Style tweaks: reorganize in submenus, add a few (#5863) @poire-z
- Get rid of the old PB TC (#5860) @NiLuJe
- Statistics: revamp settings, add calendar settings (#5867) @poire-z
- CoverBrowser: fix “Extract and cache” crash (#5874) @poire-z
- Warn if color rendering is enabled on a grayscale device. (#5871) @NiLuJe
- TextBoxWidget: handle tabs and tabstops (#5870) @poire-z
- [Android] Prevent previous book reopening in some situations (#5880) @pazos
- continuous: do not limit visible area to page area (#5885) @yparitcher
- Add “message at top of screen” screensaver (#5739) @RenaKunisaki
- Add support for PocketBook InkPad X (#5890) @KucharczykL
- Disable HW dithering on Kindle (#5893) @NiLuJe
- Style tweaks: force List items bullet/decimal style (#5897) @poire-z
- Migrate books to normalized xpointers (#5897, #5904) @poire-z
This means highlights should be a lot more stable from now on, across rendering setting changes or rendering engine improvements.
- kosync: validate username and password against empty/blank strings (#5894) @pazos
- Avoid writting highlights into read-only PDFs (#5889) @pazos
- TOC: validate and fix misordered page numbers (#5907) @poire-z
- Style tweaks: enable EPUB/FB2 in-page footnotes by default (#5908) @poire-z
- SDL2 MacOS HiDPI (#5917) @magicmirror1365
- PathChooser: fetch ‘show_hidden’ setting on each use (#5923) @poire-z
- Correct Frontlight status on suspend when screensaver mode is ‘Leave … (#5928) @clarkspark