The month of commercial love bears good news for owners of Android E Ink devices. Thanks to a library called refreshU and efforts by @pazos to integrate it into KOReader, we now have basic support for E Ink refreshes on a limited number of Android E Ink devices (#4517). Namely:
- Boyue T61 and some clones
- Boyue T62 and some clones
- Onyx C67
- Energy Sistem (which are in fact Boyue T62 clones). This was tested on an Energy Pro 4.
If you own an unlisted Android E Ink device, you can help us by installing the einkTest utility included under assets below. Once you start it, you’ll see a screen like the following. First it lists important device information, without which will not be able to include support for your device in future versions. Next there are three buttons you can click, to test whether your device can work with our current Android screen refresh implementation.
There’s more news for Android ereaders. Some devices go to sleep for no apparent reason, which makes KOReader unresponsive (#4428). To prevent this, go to settings (gears icon) → Screen → Keep screen on.
On the reader end, @poire-z implemented support for so-called widows and orphans (#4490). These words are typesetting jargon, see here if you want to learn more. If you’ve ever seen a line at the beginning or end of a paragraph all alone at the top or bottom of a page, you know what it’s about. There’s support for publisher styles and of course also overriding these to your own preferences.
We’d like to thank all contributors for their efforts. Some highlights since the previous release include:
- android: keep screen awake toggle (using wakelocks) (#4428, #4493) @pazos
- [fix] PocketBook 626 new firmware with new codename (#4474) @Frenzie
- Set actual model names on PB devices (#4479) @NiLuJe
- InfoMessage: avoid overflowing screen height with long messages (#4483) @poire-z
- bump crengine: Harfbuzz light, WTF-8, corrupted ZIPs (#4483) @poire-z
- Implement generic internal clipboard for all devices (#4483) @poire-z
- [fix] AppImage: include libsndio for SDL (#4488) @Frenzie
- Adds choice of default action when highlighting (#4486) @Galunid
- bump crengine: adds support for ‘orphans:’ and ‘widows:’ (#4490) @poire-z
- Fix WiFi status on Kindle (#4475) @NiLuJe
- NewsDownloader: fix RSS titles decoding (#4502) @sonix-github
- opds: fix parsing OPDS from textos.info (#4514) @avsej
- opds: add two more public servers (#4515) @avsej
- Adds “Generic web browser paragraph style” tweak (#4524) @poire-z
- bump base/blitbuffer.c: small optimisation (#4524) @poire-z
- [chore, Kobo] Move Clara HD to frontlight mixer (#4531) @pazos
- [Android] Add release/debug APK switch (#4532) @pazos @Frenzie
- [feat, Android] Add basic support for android eink refreshes on some rockchip devices (#4517) @pazos