As one of the maintainers of KOReader, a versatile a document and image viewer, I’m proud to announce the latest release.
It’s been a busy month, so I’ll get right to some of the highlights.
Ruby characters (also known as furigani) are now supported in the form of the
<ruby> element, small typographic annotations to aid pronunciation (#6305).
Usually I tend to emphasize user-visible changes, and in a way this one’s both. Rotation was refactored (#6309), which immediately and easily allowed for better Android TV support (#6327).
The following screenshots showcase the new rotation handling on Chrome OS (running Android apps) and Android TV:
The calibre metadata search and calibre wireless connections were merged into a single plugin (#6177).
search metadata changes:
- search directly into calibre metadata files.
- search can be performed on more than one library (configurable from a menu)
- device scans now find all calibre libraries under a given root
- search options can be configured from a menu. (case sensitive, find by title, author and path)
- removed legacy global variables.
- option to search from the reader
- option to generate a cache of books for faster searches.
calibre wireless connection changes:
- keep track of books in a library (includes prunning books from calibre metadata if the file was deleted locally)
- remove files on device from calibre
- support password protected connections
- FM integration: if we’re in the inbox dir it will be updated each time a book is added or deleted.
- disconnect when requested by calibre, available on newer calibre versions (+4.17)
- remove unused opcodes.
- better report of client name, version and device id
- free disk space checks for all calibre versions
- bump supported extensions to match what KOReader can handle. Users can override this with their own list of extensions (or from calibre, by configuring the wireless device).
A big thank you to all of our translators. This month a good chunk of KOReader was localized in Hebrew. Please head over to https://hosted.weblate.org/engage/koreader/ if you want to help.
We’d like to thank all contributors for their efforts. Some highlights since the previous release include:
- Fix bottom menu item titles truncation (#6273) @poire-z
- Add chapter title when exporting notes in Evernote (JSON/HTML, remote) (#6146) @Galunid
- [chore] Rename ‘More plugins’ to ‘More tools’ (#6279) @Frenzie
- [chore] Device abstraction (#6280) @pazos
- Unified calibre plugin (#6177) @pazos
- [chore, UX] Move some ‘permanent’ settings inside more_tools (#6282) @pazos
- [Android] Add support for custom startup scripts (#6275) @zwim
This is only available on the rocks flavor of Android, which is provided here on GitHub. In the fdroid flavor it’s been disabled. See the wiki for more information.
- [plugin] Dispatcher: for profiles & gestures (#6106) @yparitcher
- Don’t rotate BookStatus & ReadingProgress in screensavers. (#6286) @NiLuJe
- Translator: Add definition of the word to the translation (#6295) @Galunid
- bump crengine: add support for elements (#6305) @poire-z
- Add the possibility run shell scripts from filemanager on android (#6288) @zwim
- Add PocketBook 614W (Basic 3) definition (#6312) @roshavagarga
- [feat] FocusManager: wrap around horizontally (#6315) @Frenzie
- [UX] Add left to close to ConfigDialog for hasFewKeys (#6318) @Frenzie
- [plugin] Wallabag: Make remove from history consistent with deletion (#6320) @Frenzie
- [UX] Move double tap to gesture manager (#6322) @Frenzie
- [i18n] Add support for fledgling Hebrew translation (#6333) @Frenzie
- [feat] Add text/html to OPDSBrowser (#6335) @Frenzie
- Landscape FM / Refactor rotation (#6309) @yparitcher
- bump crengine: memory fixes, speedup, bg image enhancements (#6350) @poire-z
- android: support for native surface rotation (#6359) @pazos
- Allow locking the gyro to the current screen mode (#6347) @NiLuJe
- Add macOS target (#6361) @JasonInOttawa
- ReaderGesture: cleanup (#6292) @yparitcher
- Dispatcher: use sections (#6364) @yparitcher
- Perception expander: disable margin increase when set to 0 (#6377) @yparitcher
- Initial handling of the upcoming Kobo Nia (#6380) @NiLuJe NB This may not work properly on a real Nia once it’s released.
- [UX] German keyboard layout qwertz (#6385) @zwim
- SetNightMode event & Night Mode refresh rate (#6386) @yparitcher
- Implement numeric collator (natural sorting) in file manager (#6378) @Galunid
- Remarkable button-listen when resuming from suspendsuspend fix (#6396) @tcrs
Full changelog — closed milestone issues