KOReader 2021.01 “Magnetic Flux”
As one of the maintainers of KOReader, a versatile a document and image viewer, I’m proud to announce the latest release.
It’s a new year, so we got ourselves a new haircut (#6937). A big thanks to @johnbeard for the effort! Here are a couple of screenshots of the new icons to whet your appetite.
The dictionary will now be significantly faster on dictionaries with synonyms (#7068).
The quite active reMarkable community has added initial support for the reMarkable 2 (#6992, #7066, #7065, #7122). Please keep in mind that it’s still in an early state and installation instructions on the KOReader wiki may not yet be fully updated either (see here).
Finally, book thumbnails will now load faster (after initial caching) thanks to ZSTD, although I never thought they were particularly slow in the first place (#6976).
Image credit: Magnetic field produced by current flow
We’d like to thank all contributors for their efforts. Some highlights since the previous release include:
- kodev: Use getopt instead of a hand-rolled hack (#6980) @NiLuJe
- remarkable2 support (#6992) @ddvk
- BookInfoManager: Convert thumbnail compression to ZSTD (and many more behind the screens improvements) (#6976) @NiLuJe
- Radius corners of more boxes (#6997) @johnbeard
- Add MaterialDesignLight SVG icons (#6937) @johnbeard
- Update UI layout code to use new SVG icons (#6977, #7019) @poire-z
- Implement proper alpha-blending of SVG icons (#7011) @NiLuJe
- Fix y origin of the configmenu extended tapzone (#7015) @NiLuJe
- NetworkManager: Slightly more accurate wifi strength icons (#7020) @NiLuJe
- Revert ManyBooks and Flibusta to HTTP (#7031) @Frenzie
The OPDS servers for ManyBooks and Flibusta don’t actually have proper HTTPS support.
- OPDSBrowser: Update the title during navigation (#7034) @NiLuJe
- rM: Switch to plain dumb sleep during the crash screen (#7038) @NiLuJe
- rM: Unbreak PowerEvents (#7043) @NiLuJe
- Add fall back to text selection option to panel zoom (#6960) @Galunid
- OPDS: Inform and warn about downgrade attack (#7032) @Frenzie
- htmlToPlainText(): Format paragraphs with indentation (#7027, #7095) @Frenzie @poire-z
- Quickstart: add long press sets default (#7048) @yparitcher
- UI: Make button radius match default window radius (#7054) @johnbeard
- bump sdcv for fast synonym search (#7068) @pazos
- Time-adjust on all reMarkable events, not just EV_ABS (#7066) @snelg
- Fix double-pressing reMarkable 2 power button twice to wake up (#7065) @snelg
- UI: Clicking menu icon returns to top of menu (#7074) @johnbeard
- Keyboard input in InputText (#7037) @johnbeard
On desktop builds, you’ll now be able to use your regular keyboard in input fields.
- Footer: add “Pages left in book” as footer item (#7047) @JasonInOttawa
- LuaJIT on Android fixes (#7094) @NiLuJe
KOReader depends on just-in-time compilation (JIT) provided by LuaJIT to be fast. A small minority of Android devices isn’t too fond of that, so on Android JIT has always been disabled in various parts of the program. With any luck you’ll notice the difference.
- Dict/Wiki lookup: less text cleanup on manual input (#7099) @poire-z
- DictQuickLookup: hold prev/next buttons go to first/last result (#7099) @poire-z
- CRE: allow both Top/Bottom margins fine tuning (#7104) @poire-z
- Legacy Kindle: Unbreak screensavers (#7112) @NiLuJe
- add noop callback to cache size to prevent artifacts (#7106) @yparitcher
- reader.lua: rework file/directory argument handling. (#7053) @yparitcher
- Add menu to configure the top/alt status bar in crengine (#7107) @zwim
- Add deprecation messages to plugins (#7101) @pazos
- Dispatcher: update document.configurable (#7116) @yparitcher
- Save rotation across restarts (#7096) @yparitcher
- show AltStatusBar when changing the font size (#7119) @zwim
- Revamp “flash_ui” handling (#7118) @NiLuJe
- [UX] Footer: add prefix option “Compact items” (#7127) @JasonInOttawa
- add table persistence module (#7120) @pazos
- bump crengine: parsing, lists, 2-pages mode fixes & tweaks (#7138) @poire-z
- Mark calibrecompanion plugin as obsolete (#7147) @pazos
- Address assorted Weblate comments (#7154) @Frenzie
- [reMarkable] Don’t need to keep attempting WiFi connection after success (#7121) @snelg
- [feat] Support mimetypes in DocumentRegistry:hasProvider() (#7155) @Frenzie
- [feat] Add skimming support for Non-Touch devices (#7163) @rezaarifandee